Friday 29 January 2016

Karen's story

"I was working as a probation officer in 2012, (had been for a number of years) when I escaped domestic violence by transferring to a different city. He found me, so I moved again. My health has deteriorated so much, mentally and physically, having chronic depression, a bowel disease and a chronic pain condition, that I had to give up my much loved career. My landlady refused to take housing benefit and he had found me again, so I moved to be near friends, sofa surfing until I could sort myself out. I sank into a terrible depression and had a breakdown. I finally had the strength to make a homeless application and was immediately helped into supported accommodation where I am now, attempting to rebuild my life , but having no money for food or anything else. If I could work, I would."

Thank you to Karen for sharing her experiences with us.