Friday 24 October 2014

Brian's Story

"I find myself homeless and without money at 50 years of age. Life was going so well. A BSc, MSc and Phd in Medical Science led to jobs with the MoD, Unilever and then to Research Director near Chester where I lived with my wife of 30 years and 2 daughters. Further directorships in Surrey then London followed. Then crash, I lost my job due to lack of funding. The government has destroyed R&D [research and development] in the UK. Family death, hit and run reduced legs to shrapnel and almost blind. Can't do job anymore. 11 months NHS waiting list for 30 minute operation. Wife affair, British judicial system forced me to leave and be homeless, bank accounts emptied. Housing solutions got me a safe seat, sitting in a chair with winos and junkies. Then a flat in a nice hostel, weeks to get benefits. Endless forms to fill in but I can't read them. At least safe secure and warm. No food in flat and no money. [Local Agency] said to come here. V. grateful. Need ops to get a job or 30 years experience thrown on the scrap heap. Very few R&D jobs left. Thank God for lovely people and charity. Will fight way back up. But time time time crushes the soul. We are not scroungers. God bless."

Our thanks to Brian for sharing his story with us.