Thursday 3 July 2014

Luke's Story

"I am 62 years old; I spent the last 2 years in Spain, but the Spanish economy went into reverse and I had no choice but to return to the UK. This government passed a law on 01.01.2014 to make themselves look good by clamping down hard on immigration. I have been told I am not entitled to any benefits - JSA, ESA, Pension Credits - until I have been back in the UK for 3 months (i.e. 16/07/2014). There has been no offer of any financial help whatsoever interim. I have been surviving, just on food given to me at the Foodbankand the charity meals from various Christian churches in the [local] area.

Without these charitable donations I would just have to go hungry! I am staying at [a local] hostel that operates a 'safe seat' policy - meaning I am entitled only to an upright armchair, not a bed, and I am not guaranteed that. I've spent some time on the streets as my 'safe seat' accommodation has been over subscribed! It is a horrible existence for a man of my age, and a true indictment of government policy."

We really appreciate the fact that Luke has shared his story with us. Thank you Luke.